living a life, live!


« Home | Horas, bah! »

Good to be nice

It happened 4 years ago. It’s a true story, indeed.

I walked crossing the street quite in early morning in Georgetown, Penang Island where many Chinese reside. Not many vehicles were on the street that time, only some trishaws and motorcycles I could easily count.

Since these Chinese people are used to have dogs as their pets, I carefully watched around in anticipation if there were dogs around. Ugh, I hate dogs! I am used to be bitten by dogs, and that does hurt. For animal rights’ activists and dog lover out there, my apologies, but I also have my rights not to be bitten, don’t I?

But thank God, I safely arrived at the other side of the street, sat in the cafeteria and asked for a cup of coffee. With less sugar for sure (I like it the most with less than half tea-spoon of sugar or not all).

I looked around. I enjoyed this cafeteria, especially in the morning. The atmosphere was nice and the cafeteria looked clean. Good decoration, too. The most important part, I was the only customer, as they just opened. I don’t really like being in the crowds.

The waitress, later I know that her name is Peony, delivered my coffee along with two aluminum pots, each for sugar and cream, all in one container. I watched her putting down the cup carefully and stood there while I poured the cream, stirred it well and left the sugar pot untouched. Not only dogs, I hate sugar too!

I laid my palms around the cup and felt its perfect warm. The coffee smelled good as I pulled the cup up and gasped. “What a perfect morning,” I said to her. She’s Chinese, aged 19 or so, looked fresh and young.

“Good coffee to begin the day.” I added and smiled.

I sipped my drinks and all in sudden everything changed. It tasted like hell! Err… not really like hell… it was like wastewater. It tasted different, too sweet for me. Somebody clearly made mistake. Somebody wanted me to die with diabetes, probably. That was HUGE mistake that ruined my cozy morning. Good!

I didn’t finish my drink. I lost my mood. I was about to pay the drink and leave the cafeteria when the young waitress I smiled to suddenly asked, “Are you going that soon? Is there anything wrong with your coffee?”

I took a deep breath. I almost answered, “This is too sweet. Sweet like this does kill, lady.” But I didn’t. I saw her; nervous and faint. Weary. I lied “No, it tastes nice. It’s different but nice. Perfect. I just have to catch a meeting.” I believe that I saw metamorphose that time; her face slowly changed color from pale to reddish.

She giggled, and said “I thought the coffee still tastes like wastewater like I used to make… If not too sweet, it would be too bitter. I am the worst coffeemaker this cafeteria has ever had, but I keep trying. You are the first who says my coffee tastes good.”

I smiled. She’s such a childlike girl. And pretty, too…

I dated her a week later and we remained good friends until now – but the experience clearly told me it’s always good to be nice.

0 Responses to “Good to be nice”



Web This Blog

Welcome

  • Living my daily life teaches me many things. I believe life teaches you a lot too. This blog is only a way to share pieces of experience and learnings I've got. I'd be happy to hear yours too. So I invite your comments!
  • Subscribe Today

About Siregar

  • Muhammad Rizqi Siregar is a consultant in Microfinance, Management and Marketing. Having been in business for years has given him opportunities to work with various people, firms and NPOs all over the world. His upcoming project is Emerging Asia Limited's marketplace, focusing in intangible product marketing, which networks global companies and clients

Latest



Powered by Blogger

Gecko & Fly



© 2006 blogcompré is powered by Blogspot | Template by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.